It is quite in my house at the moment, husband at work, Bella at school nursery and Will at pre-school.
I have one and a half hours to myself once I have done the drop offs and before I need to leave again to pick my small people up again.
It is this time that I cherrish so much as for the past four and a bit years life has been non-stop and very loud!
It’s not the most easiest thing, being a mum and being a stay-at-home mum means that I get very little space and time away from the constantness that is two young children. I have to admit that I have had my ups and downs on this journey of motherhood and I have learned over the years that I need to just steal a minute or two of quiet time.
This is what I do:
- find a space, a seat, somewhere, anywhere.
- sit with your back tall, as if you are being pulled up by the top of your head.
- plant your feet firmly on the floor and feel that connection.
- breath in, deeply, what can you smell?
- still your breathing, what can you hear?
- look around you, colours, shapes, what can you see?
- clench your hands, open them up, what can you feel?
- have you just eaten something, what can you taste?
- breath again, feel everything, be thankful you are here.
This exercise does not take long, I do not use it every day, but I do on those days that are a struggle. Sit on your bed, the edge of the bath, the sofa, one of the kids beds, a dinning chair or even the toilet! It has made such a difference to me to be mindful of all I can sense and to be thankful I am here to experience life (even if it is loud, chaotic and never goes to plan).
What do you do when you have time to yourself?
Do you have any techniques to find a little bit of quiet in a busy day?
I hope you have quiet time today,