I know a lot of people out there are enjoying having a Herman to stay with them but are now struggling to pass on the extra parts of Herman or are unable to bake and eat all the parts themselves. I have been asked a number of times now if a mini-herman or half-herman is possible and the answer is definitely yes!
It involves a bit of basic maths so I’ll use Imperial measurements so it’s clearer:
- One normal portion of Herman is just over 12oz
- So, for a Half Herman you would need 6oz of starter on Day 1.
- Stir as normal and on Day 4 feed with 2oz flour, 4oz sugar and 4oz milk.
- Stir again for next few days and on Day 9 feed with 2oz flour, 4oz sugar and 4oz milk. This will give you 26oz.
- You can then divide this into four portions of around 6oz each (I know, very rough maths 6×4=24 but you see where I’m going).
- You would keep one portion.
- Then two parts would be used to bake the normal Herman Apple type cake.
- Or you could bake a Half Herman cake which would fit perfectly in a loaf tin – just divide all the ingredients used for the full cake.
I am also working on some recipes to use smaller amounts of Herman, such as for pancakes or crumpets, so check back for those soon.
Hope this helps some of you that are struggling with far too much Herman.